Friday, November 5, 2010

Wrapping it up

The Chateau tour was to be all in French; my friend, travel companion, and translator wasn’t present; and the girl in the tourism office didn’t know if video or pictures were allowed. So I didn’t go. Instead I wandered the village, in the Provence sunshine.

Goodbye, Luberon.

November 1: Hello, rainy Cote d’Azur. Weather forecasters said they were “optimistic” for the following day. All Saints Day, however, is never a good time to try to shop or dine in France or Italy -- much is closed. Afraid to lose our hotel parking space, we walked heavy rain in search of dinner, about 2 1/2 miles round trip, with leaky umbrellas. The kind owner of a bar that was serving only drinks offered to make us two ham sandwiches before he closed, saying they’d “calm our hunger.” Back at the hotel we wrung our socks in the bathtub, skipped the hotel restaurant and raided the gift bag – items we purchased to take home to friends. Voila! Appetizer: California pistachio nuts we’d brought with us to give as gifts. Main course: “Pot au Feu” bouillon cubes from Paris and sesame toast from the Luberon. Aha! Candied fruit from Apt for dessert and then….I felt like I’d eaten a plate of appetizers. I didn’t want dinner but I wasn’t satisfied either. My bad mood returned, so I opened the window and listened to the ocean.

Weather forecasters were correct: the following day was "optimistic" and the next was clear blue skies.

Now back in Paris for a day, we return home to Los Angeles tomorrow.

Last count for agent responses to Half Italian was 2/8; what’ll be in my mailbox when I return tomorrow night?

- PJ

No comments: