Wednesday, May 25, 2011

8/8 (remember that?) and moving forward

During my recent recovery from surgery another agent response came in the mail, one of the remaining two I wrote off last February. It was a standard form response that said my work appeared to have merit; encouraging words, but still a rejection.

I read two books and several short stories while I was on medical leave; short stories I was supposed to have read in high school English class, and didn’t. Freshman reading assignments from the 1971-72 school year are finally complete! The short story is my favorite form of writing. I’m glad I saved my textbook for 40 years; I love the questions for discussion that follow the stories. I also read Julia Child’s “My Life in France” which I enjoyed and recommend. I sent Alex Prud’homme a quick email on his wonderful job with that book, and he gave a friendly response.

And now I’ve made another submission, not Half Italian, but an amusing recount of a day in 2006 when a friend and I got lost in France as we learned to use his first-ever GPS. I made the submission online to Travelers’ Tales. I’ll only hear back if they decide to publish, and that could take a year. But to obtain even one writing credit would help, and by this submission, I’m moving forward, little by little.

- PJ

No comments: