Sunday, August 1, 2010

Countdown to France: 2 clicks

On July 11, I wrote that I'm leaving for France on October 21, a return trip to Provence. Advancing from any current month on a digital calendar to the month of departure, I count each month until vacation as one click. Two to go.

I love France, and I'm blessed to have visited much of the country. The northeast is an exception; it's on my list, I just haven't been yet. Some of the most beautiful country I've seen, and felt, is the Dordogne area. Brittany, the Jura, Burgundy, and the Languedoc are a joy. Provence is magic.

I love ceramics, but as time passes you can bring home only so many and I've reached that limit. Now, I bring back goods that can be consumed, like Dijon mustard, which I also love. Here in Los Angeles, rarely can I bring myself to spend $6.29 -- for the smallest jar -- when the largest in France is around .89 euro (approximately $1.15). Last trip I brought back 9 jars, causing my traveling partner departure-morning anxiety over airline baggage weight limits. Our check-in clerk at DeGaulle, however, was compassionate.

My solution: more suitcases this time, because nine jars went fast.

Two clicks still seems so long.

- PJ

No comments: