Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ready to send, almost?

The query experience is not brand new for me. This, however, is my first time writing about it. The fact that I'm writing about it publicly doubles that first-time experience. This blog is my only platform, aside from who I am and what I mean to those who know me.

My email queries are ready. 90% of my hard-copy material is printed. Some final proofreading (on that last 10%), printing (that last 10%), and then, finally, I assemble my packages and get them into the mail.

Not to contradict what I wrote yesterday, but, the proofreading process is unpleasant. Am I alone in this feeling? Does anyone out there enjoy proofreading, particularly their own words? I've seen my own words so many times that the amount of attention I need to objectively review text and punctuation hurts.

A prominent character in Half Italian is my beloved cousin, Carlin, who I wrote about in my July 13th posting. Today she leaves for Italy, her annual visit to the town where she grew up, reading at night in bed, with her flashlight. A few days ago, one the phone, she impulsively said, "But why don't you come with me?!" I immediately checked online airfares, and then came to my senses. No, I'll stay, but I'll think of her as I plug away at these last steps.

Little by little.

- PJ

1 comment:

Dianne said...

This is SO cool, Joe! And I love the name of the book, too. I'll be checking in from time to time to see how it's going...