Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tortoise and Hare

Anyone who's ever seen that "Typical Work Week" cartoon with Snoopy, the Peanuts character, knows that by Wednesday he feels struck by lightning, but Saturday he's dancing.

My Saturday mornings usually feel like his Wednesdays. Recovery from my work week starts with Saturday morning coffee, in bed. I stare at the TV screen, not speaking. The TV is not on.

Weekday progress on this project seems slow, I'm limited to those precious minutes before and after work. By necessity, I'm the tortoise. Yet I make small bits of progress each day. Some days after I'm home I can proofread only 5 pages before burnout. Label-pasting, anyone? Mindless, but that too is progression. I often feel the urge to continue when I wake up in the night, and anticipate the morning, when I have those few minutes before work.

On weekends I'm the hare, and I get much more done. Now it's Saturday, and I've had my coffee. Now I'm the hare.

- PJ

No comments: